St. Joseph Parish in Project 3, Quezon City was established on November 23, 1951. With only about 400 families living near the parish seat in Project 2, the first mass was held on December 7, 1951 in a provisional church at Durian Street, Project 2, rented from the Peoples Homesite Housing Corporaton (PHHC) which was responsible for the development of the new Quirino Housing Project intended for the low-income labor group. Thus, some people believed that St. Joseph was named as the parish’ Patron Saint because he is the Patron Saint of workers.
For accessibility to the parishioners, Fr. Jose S. Sunga, appointed as the first parish priest, picked the 1,700 sq. m. lot in Aurora Blvd. to build the permanent church. On March 23, 1952, the cornerstone for the new church was blessed and laid. The construction of the church was completed in early 1954 on time for the celebration on March 19 of the local fiesta.
The need to renovate the church became inevitable in late 1978. Actual renovation work began in late 1980 and was completed in November 1984. December 14, 1982 marked the inauguration of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel at the ground floor of the parish church. On March 19, 1966, coinciding with the Feast of St. Joseph, it was later converted and called the Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration.
Equally remarkable for the parish was the founding of St. Joseph Educational Centre kindergarten school, in 1985. Now called St. Joseph Catholic School, it has expanded to include complete elementary and secondary education.
To address the growing number of the parishioners, as well as church goers from nearby parishes, additional lots adjacent to the church was purchased.
On the celebration of its 40th Foundation Day on November 23, 1991, the Parish Formation and Development Center (PFDC) was inaugurated and blessed. While in 1995, the St. Joseph Parish Multi-purpose Cooperative was created and established. Later, it was amended to St. Joseph Shrine Credit Cooperative and accepts deposits and grants loans at very minimal interest rate.
On November 12, 1999, St. Joseph Parish was conferred the title of Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Joseph and was solemnly blessed on December 3, 1999.
St. Joseph Shrine takes pride in the vigorous and active parish life of the faithful in liturgical celebration and various apostolate that include continuing formation and regular social services and development programs. The building of Basic Ecclesial Communities (BEC) is, likewise, in place.
As the parish community celebrates 60 years of faith, grace, and service (1951-2011), the congregation rejoices in St. Joseph, their Patron Saint, who continues to accompany and guide them in their pilgrimage towards the Father.
“Ite Ad Joseph”.
back to top