What used to be rice paddies sixty-eight years ago now stands the Immaculate Conception cathedral, the new seat of the Diocese of Cubao. Since 1935, the SVD priests of Christ the King Mission Seminary celebrated mass in a small chapel near the present Cubao rotonda, headed by Fr. Henry Desmond. Sunday masses were held from the Carbonell residence in Manga road to Quonset mess halls. On December 8, 1949, the patron saint San Isidro Labrador was changed to Our lady of the Immaculate Conception.
On July 15, 1950, the Immaculate Conception Parish was canonically erected with Fr. Juan Simon, SVD, as its first parish priest. On the feast of Immaculate Conception, December 8, 1950, the cornerstone of what is now Immaculate Conception Church was laid and blessed by the Most Reverend Vicente Reyes. On April 30, 1990, Msgr. Reynaldo Y. Celso was installed as the first diocesan clergy by his Eminence, Jaime Cardinal L. Sin. He served for ten years until he was assigned to another parish.
On August 28, 2003, the Immaculate Conception was liturgically proclaimed a Cathedral; thus, it is now called the Immaculate Conception Cathedral. His Excellency, the Most Rev. Honesto F. Ongtioco was installed as the new Bishop of Cubao.
Since the time of SVD and up to the present, the Parish has been promoting, building and forming Basic Ecclesial Communities (BEC) in the different areas. Aside from BEC, evangelization, sacramental preparations of cathechism, ministries expansion, and social services and stewardship are the Parish’s pastoral priorities.
back to top