The parish was started in 1955, when Project 6 was developed as the site of the People’s Homesite and Housing Corporation (PHHC). Masses were then celebrated by priests from Sta. Rita Parish at the Philamlife Homes. The first masses were celebrated under the shade of Sampaloc tree, which still stands in what is now the Project 6 Elementary School. Later a makeshift visita was constructed where church activities were held.
When community members initiated a move for the construction of a church, Fr. Pedro Bantigue organized a construction committee. On June 28, 1958, the Archbishop of Manila signed a deed of sale with the PHHC for the purchase of a 3,150-square-meter lot on Road 8. That same year, the construction of the church went full swing.
While the church was being built, the faithful moved for the declaration of the community as a parish. After the church community met the requirements for a parish, Cardinal Rufino Santos signed, on August 3, 1961, a decree creating the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish. Solemn dedication in July 16, 1982 by His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin.
back to top